Earlier this month, we announced a watch dial design competition with Samsung Mobile and the leading smartwatch watch face platform Facer. We’ve received a good number of entries, but are still on the lookout for some stellar submissions. That said, the deadline to submit has now been extended to the beginning of Baselworld, March 23, 2017.
Entrants can use the Facer Creator to submit designs, however, Photoshop or Illustrator files are also welcomed and encouraged. Here are a few pro tips when designing your watch dial for the Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch.
- Imagine the dial design not just on your screen, but on your wrist.
- Remember that contrast levels onscreen are seen differently from how they’re displayed in person.
- Do not pack too much information onto the dial design. Focus on a few key details, starting with the watch hands and moving on to the dial.
- It’s OK to have a dial designed for a specific purpose. The Samsung Gear S3 is meant for its users to change dials on a whim, coinciding with whatever activity they are doing in that moment.
- Do not forget, a watch is a tool first and a decorative piece second.
- Make sure all submitted designs are original. Any copied designs will be disqualified.
As a reminder, there will be five finalists chosen with some pretty great prizes. These include a choice of a Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch and the opportunity to have your watch dial coded into working watch faces for the Samsung Gear S3. In addition to the above, the first prize winner will get $500 in cash. All finalists who get their watch faces coded into downloadable watch dials will be eligible to receive revenue sharing royalties for the sale of their watch face on the Facer platform.
For full terms and to apply, please visit the Samsung Gear S3 watch design competition page on Facer here.